Monday, May 14, 2018

Peter Pan, and thoughts about a GREAT role...

Hello All!  I haven't posted in several weeks, which is odd for me, so I wanted to check in.  I could have definitely worked harder to find something to talk about this month, just I've been lazy... so I'm going to take an easy route and just post a picture!  This one is courtesy of eBay, and I might just bid on it because it's so awesome.


I think I've already said I have a special fondness for Bobby's Peter Pan stuff.  The way his hair is obviously "fixed", with the hat pinned on, makes me think this was for the Christmas Special of '51, plus the presence of a Christmas book.  Was this a script?  Just a random book he'd found lying around somewhere?  A promo picture featuring Peter Pan Learning About Christmas or some such...?

It's definitely visible in this picture that the infamous acne problem was already present.  Acne has been a puberty issue the world over for probably hundreds of years... but I can't help but think Bobby's problem was more than likely exacerbated by having worn makeup for years prior while making movies.  And you know kids -- especially boys.  He might not have been very diligent about washing it off at night. 

Anyway, he had such a sweet and mischievous little smile.  I'm always on the lookout for movie parts I could post in my Modern Roles for Bobby feature, and I hadn't come across any in a long time... until last week, it occurred to me that he might have been a fantastic Loki for the Marvel comics movies.  His "elf-like" eyes and eyebrows, quirky smile, and slight build would have translated wonderfully into a Norse god of mischief!  I read someone once liken him to a leprechaun -- a comparison I hated, by the way, because it felt so disrespectful to him (though can't put my finger on why) --  but there's just no denying he could have owned any roles that called for him to look a little otherworldly in the fantasy sense. 

So that's it for now!  As always, I'm still on the lookout for stuff.  It is my goal this month to finally sit down and watch him in So Goes My Love, and I'm sure when I do, I'll commentate on it here.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Michael Boyle. My grandmother, spoke well of Bobby. She told me, he was her nephew. Her maiden name was Katherine M Quaid from Lost Nation Iowa. Last of nine born on their farm. Please feel free to e-mail grapesforever@msn.com Sincerely, M.Boyle

    ReplyDelete

Please always be kind and respectful to each other :)

One more thing...

 I had a serious moment today when I came across a piece of art. This person rendered something that was complex, beautiful and heartbreakin...