Thursday, January 18, 2024

Fresh Pictures of our Dapper Darling

 Well imagine my delightful surprise when, in the midst of scrolling Facebook in my bed and having dropped the phone on my face multiple times while falling asleep...

I decide to check my email one more time before bed. 

And behold: permission from Louise Kane, one of Bobby's high school friends/girlfriends, for the website owner and I to use some old photos of him that were taken years ago. 

As you can well imagine, I jumped up off my bed and made a cup of coffee at 12:03am. This resulting post has been fueled by caffeine and inspiration. 

So without further ado, let's look at the first one. 


This was apparently taken at a wedding Bobby attended. We don't know what year, but I would place him at around 17-19 years old here. What stood out to me most--and probably will to you, too--is his cheeky stance. Where all the other men in the picture have their hands folded properly in front of them, Bobby's over here with his hands crammed into his pockets, tilting his head to gaze into the camera. I believe this showcases Bobby's fun personality brilliantly. 

Next up! Prom of either '54 or '55. 


That big smile, plus the presence of Louise's family members (presumably her dad and little sister), and the brilliant
blue of her oh-so-fifties (in a good way) dress just brings the entire scenario even more to life. I love how, this time around, Bobby has his hands "properly" folded in the manner of the time. I cannot imagine what a dreamy date he would have made for a girl. 

Okay, and now, my favorite: 



This was taken at Louise's house over Christmas, and I love it more than words could say. Here we have Bobby in a blue sweater looking eagerly at something someone either just opened or is about to open. He sits with one arm around Louise and the other around her little sister who sits on his lap. Side note, she's holding a copy of Charlotte's Web, which I thought in error hadn't been written yet, I guess due to its popularity when I myself was a kid. It seemed like more of a 70s/80s book to me, but sure enough, it's been around for a good long time. I wonder if Bobby himself bought the book for her? Or did she simply receive it that day and was still carrying it around? 

There was so, so much to this man that we will never know. I'm grateful beyond words to Louise for sharing some of her pictures with us, and also for her agreement to do an interview, which I'm working out the details of! It's a rare opportunity we may not have again to hear a story about Bobby from a primary source. 

I imagine being young as they were, and sitting or standing close to him. Did he smell of aftershave, cologne? Was he physically affectionate, holding your hand or keeping his arm around you? Did he open car doors for girls? How flirtatious was he? And, I have to admit wondering, did he ever pressure his dates to kiss him or to "go too far"? These aren't really the kinds of questions I would ask Louise, because they would be kind of personal to her. But they live rent-free in my mind. 

What are some things you wonder about Bobby's dating years? And which one of these pictures is your favorite? 

I want to again thank "Judy" (she's funny about her real name getting out there) of BobbyDriscoll.com for constantly feeding me new material. I can honestly say I would have very little in the way of new pictures without her. She is steadfast in chasing new leads, talking to relevant people, and securing rare material about Bobby, and I cannot appreciate her enough. It is she who is probaby doing the very most to keep his memory alive. 

Signing off for now! But please: comment comment comment! 

3 comments:

  1. First of all, LOVE the new theme!! My favorite picture of these would probably have to be the prom photo just because of that huge smile on his face, the one that makes his eyes crinkle up with genuine happiness :)) As for things I wonder about Bobby's dating years, I think I mostly wonder about his dating habits as a teen. Was he lovey-dovey with his girlfriends or more reserved? In some of his articles when he was a kid he talked about bringing some girls with him to movies, so did he like to do movie dates? Perhaps the stereotypical 'date over a milkshake at a diner' date? His letters are already romantic enough to infer, but I wonder what his "love language" was as well. It's a funny thing to think about haha! I like the fact that you provided some context about these photos, especially for the one of him in the blue sweater. Glad Louise allowed you to share these and I will be looking forward to that interview! As always, thank you from the fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first photo! Bobby looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I look forward to the interview! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Please always be kind and respectful to each other :)

One more thing...

 I had a serious moment today when I came across a piece of art. This person rendered something that was complex, beautiful and heartbreakin...