Sunday, April 23, 2017

Thoughts About "Lost Boy" - Ruth B



This isn't a great big post, just a random blurb that results from something I was thinking about the other day.

We've pretty much all probably heard the song by Ruth B that came into being last year, "Lost Boy," a Peter Pan tribute.  I love this song specifically because I think of it as more of a tribute to Bobby than anything.

The first few lyrics go...

There was a time when I was alone
Nowhere to go and no place to call home
My only friend was the man in the moon
And even sometimes he would go away, too

Then one night, as I closed my eyes
I saw a shadow flying high
He came to me with the sweetest smile
Told me he wanted to talk for awhile
He said, "Peter Pan, that's what they call me
I promise that you'll never be lonely, " and ever since that day...

And then we know the rest.

What I find ironic here is that Peter Pan the character, while often romanticized by girls and young women from all over, was essentially a sociopath who only came to take Wendy away with him because she was a good storyteller.  So I don't know how in his character these lines would be...

But it reminds me very much of Bobby, who was known as a friendly and sweet guy at almost every phase of life, even when troubled.  We also know from his mother and some others that he befriended underdogs consistently, so I love to think of this song as being about Bobby himself, as I would imagine him to act, rather than Peter Pan.

The fact that Bobby WAS Peter Pan, then, makes it all the sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please always be kind and respectful to each other :)

One more thing...

 I had a serious moment today when I came across a piece of art. This person rendered something that was complex, beautiful and heartbreakin...