Tuesday, April 11, 2017

"For America"

Guess what’s back??  Our favorite Bobby Driscoll site!  

www.bobbydriscoll.net

There are some updates including Bobby’s poems and also his artwork, which are great additions.  The uploads to youtube aren’t quite complete yet, but that’s okay.  When they come up, I’m gonna find a way to download youtube videos and download EVERYTHING, man.

I’d like to talk for a minute about Bobby’s artwork.  I have always felt a very personal connection to Bobby and who he was as an individual, but I can’t exactly “fake it” when it comes to his collages and poems.  I love the FACT that he did collages, because I love collages, but I honestly don’t “feel” any of the pictures Bobby did.  His poems, also, are beyond my interpretation.  I’ve wondered if this was because he was high most of the time by that point?  He was also known to be highly intelligent, so it could be that his intelligence is just far beyond this good ol’ simple girl’s brain.

I think they’re rife with symbolism, and I’m a super symbolic person myself, but I just can’t follow most of them.  However, today I want to point you in the direction of the poem he wrote called “For America.”

Btw, just go to the site and find it if you haven’t read it.  I don’t want to repost the words here because the book they came out of is owned by the site owner and I want to respect copyright stuff.

This is the only one I THINK I MIGHT discern the meaning of, and I wouldn’t swear to it.  I wonder if he’s telling people not to get all torn up protesting Vietnam and some of the other things happening in the 60′s, because it’s an issue that would pass like anything else…?  The very title of the poem alone, and its subject matter, would lend us to realize Bobby paid more attention to national news than I original thought he did during that time period.  I think what he might be saying is, don’t make things worse by getting riled up – the justice and things you are seeking by protesting are going to become apparent, you just have to wait for it.  Don’t lose yourself to hate.

What do we think?  I’d love to open up some discussion!  Who thinks they have mad interpreter skills?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please always be kind and respectful to each other :)

One more thing...

 I had a serious moment today when I came across a piece of art. This person rendered something that was complex, beautiful and heartbreakin...