Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Rare Bobby Pics (and comments!) Dump

Guys I discovered www.worthpoint.com.  Some of you may have already known about this place, but I didn't.  It shows pictures it's sold through eBay for the last several YEARS, and there were TONS of images of Bobby on there I'd never seen!!

The bad news is, the quality isn't that great so you can't really enlarge them to see them any better.  But hey:  Bobby stuff is Bobby stuff, so let's be grateful some of this still exists somewhere. :P

So here we go, down the list of my personal favorites:


I have a total soft spot for Bobby's The Happy Time pictures.  He looks so cute and polished like a little gentleman in his school uniform, with his hair shaped into that perfect 50's quiff.  It's really awesome.  And lest you be someone who thinks I mean this in the "weird" way, I totally don't.  You can think a man is dashing when he's grown, but still look back at pictures of his childhood and find him adorable in a very different way.  That's totally how I feel about Bobby's looks, by the way:  a precious, cute child and a handsome, polished-looking adult.  Usually.  Anyway, sorry for that rabbit trail.  I think it's also sweet how much Bobby seemed to enjoy interacting with other children on the sets of his movies.  It could be because, as he said in his interview with Fred D. Brown, he didn't get to spend as much time with them as he liked.  I wonder if this little girl here was keen on him, or on the other boy -- maybe both.  It's adorable how she's sitting in this elegant little pose like a lady while they talk to her.  Gosh, even the kids back then seemed to have so much class...


Okay, so as I have always been partial to Bobby's Peter Pan stuff, this is an absolute favorite.  I've always wanted to see more of him in the costume, and even though I'd prefer that to be from the reference footage used to shoot the movie, this works too.  It's most likely to plug the 1951 Disney Christmas Show.  He and Kathryn are delightful here with their happy smiles!

Rabbit trail alert:  I know I've said this before, but it's kind of funny how big of a deal the character of Peter Pan is to most young girls.  I've definitely noticed that the brunt of Bobby's fanbase, when not comprised of older people who were more contemporary to him and his work, are girls maybe 14-18 who came to be starstruck because of his Peter Pan work.  As a first-wave millennial (much as I hate to associate myself with the generation), Peter Pan was how I first encountered Bobby, too.  And it's kind of funny, because we all have to admit that the character was kind of written to be an arrogant jerk, more akin to the snot-nosed kid who pummeled you in the face with a dodge ball in eighth grade and laughed about it than the culmination of your prepubescent fantasies.  He was perfectly happy being a child and using Wendy for her storytelling abilities, having obviously no clue how to fulfill her romantic expectations, no matter what tumblr fanfic tries to make us believe.  So why is it so many girls ended up with a gosh darn crush on him?!  Including myself, I mean hey -- I loved Peter Pan years and years before I knew anything about Bobby.  Are we suckers for punishment?  And I swear it's not just me.  This is a thing.  A girl on another blog once wrote, "You know you had a crush on Peter Pan when you were a kid.  If you say you didn't, you're either lying, or a dude."  I have to agree, and I wonder if Bobby came to know anything about this adulation after he voiced and modeled for this film?  I bet, like probably every other guy that age, he'd find it pretty useless.  But hey, do schoolgirl crushes ever really make sense?

Oh, and I won't go into this much detail for every pic, I promise...


Another The Happy Time pic I hadn't seen.  Anyone wonder if Bobby was nervous to kiss a girl onscreen the first time?  Even if it was a chaste puppy love kiss.  As we've heard, Bobby was a bit of a flirt who LOVED the girls as a teen, and always showed himself to be outgoing and fun-loving, so something tells me he was good to just go for it!


This, by the way, was one of my absolute favorite Little Bobby Era movies.  I've seen a pic of him and the dog before, but not this one with both of the other young children. 


Bobby and Luana, taking their "show clothes," probably, off hangers decorated in Disney characters.  What a cute touch!  By the way, according to a newspaper article in the 4/3/49 edition of The Sydney Morning Herald, Luana absolutely hero-worshiped Bobby, following him around the set like a faithful kitten (almost a direct quote!).  What I wouldn't give to have heard her talk about him back when she was alive -- if she remembered much from so long ago.  I know Kathryn Beaumont doesn't....


OKAY. 

I could barely handle how awesome this was when I found it:  Bobby and Rory Calhoun following (or before) their Screen Director's Playhouse episode.  It is a rare, and I mean rare, thing to see Bobby flash such a glowing beam as an almost-adult -- an actual authentic one, and you can tell this one is.  The only other time I saw him grin this huge as anything other than an enthusiastic little freckle-faced boy was when he was on the 25th Academy Awards.  So this is a treat.  He might have been awfully proud to be working with Rory Calhoun -- another really nice looking and talented guy, I may add!


Another Bobby and Luana shot.  I can't see exactly what they're looking at, but I think they're some kind of toy figures...


Lastly, this!  Once again from The Happy Time, in which I think he's supposed to appear to be daydreaming about his older lady crush.  Bobby does such a great job staying in character for all his stills, though this one actually seems a bit awkward to me.  Anyone else think so?  It's very charming and sweet, but he almost looks a little like he might be thinking, "Hurry up and take this, please..."

There are a few more I saved that I really like, but this is a good enough sampling for now.  I can't believe I just now found this place.  I might would have been even happier if I'd found it in time to actually buy some of these prints, provided the prices hadn't too jacked up on them.  But finding them second-hand was still enough to give me a good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please always be kind and respectful to each other :)

One more thing...

 I had a serious moment today when I came across a piece of art. This person rendered something that was complex, beautiful and heartbreakin...